Sign me up for updates. Sign up now

Donate Take Action

Community Resources to Help with Housing


For more ways to navigate the financial impact of COVID-19, view our Financial Resources page.

If you find that you are in need of housing related services you may want to reach out to one or more of these organizations in your area:

Through or by dialing 2-1-1 you can learn about rental assistance programs in your area.

Housing Counseling Centers

These are HUD-approved nonprofits that offer help to renters and homeowners.

Legal Aid/Legal Services

Many communities have free legal assistance that provide advice and sometimes mediation between you and your landlord.

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army offers special one-time assistance to help you pay your rent.

Catholic Charities

Catholic Charities has emergency assistance grants that can help you to pay your rent.

Modest Needs

Modest Needs offers Self Sufficiency Grants of up to $1,000 to cover one emergency expense.

Local Housing Authorities

These agencies may keep lists of local short-term rental assistance resources.

State Assistance

States administer federal funds obtained through the HOME program to provide affordable housing to their residents.

Public Subsidized Housing

Local governments own and manage affordable rental properties. You must qualify and put your name on a waiting list to be considered for public housing. 

Privately Owned Subsidized Housing

Some property owners have a contract with HUD to offer below-market rate rental units.  Contact HUD for properties near you.

Section 8

The Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program will pay for most of the rent and utilities at privately owned properties.  Section 8 makes payments directly to your landlord and you pay the difference.

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

HUD provides long-term assistance for homeowners and for renters.

USDA Rural Development Program

USDA helps people in rural areas with their mortgage or rent.