What You Can Do Right Now
Information is great. But taking small steps now can lead to big changes.
- If you are in the midst of a disaster, remember to grab your go bag and lock box of essential and financial documents.
- Remove valuable items that cannot be secured in your home and store them outside of the disaster area.
- Next Week
- If your home is livable but requires repairs, contact your insurance agents. Take photos before the work is started and save all receipts related to the repair for your claim.
- Watch out for home repair scams following a disaster.
- During the Next Few Weeks
- Work with your insurance company to file a claim and come to a settlement agreement.
- Get your credit reports to make sure there are no fraudulent accounts or activity following the disaster, when many people may have had access to your personal information.