Choosing the right training or education program
Think about your overall education goals. Your overall goals might be the answer to one of the following questions:
- What do you want to get out of education?
- How do you want to put your training or education to work?
- How do you want to feel once you've accomplished your educational goal?
Write a clear goal statement. This doesn’t need to be long. It might be one of the following:
- Get a better job
- Get a job in a different field
- Get a promotion
- Finish your bachelor's degree
- Feel better about yourself
- Set an example for your children
- Earn more money
- Enhance and expand your skills
- Explore an interest or hobby
Identify steps that will move you closer to your goal. These will become your education or training activities. Everyone will have different activities, depending on where they are in their planning. Some activities you might include are:
- Decide on a career you want to pursue. You can get started with a self assessment.
- Learn about training requirements for a job of interest. Find these in an Occupation Profile for the occupation you’re interested in.
- Learn more about the range of education or training options at What's right for me?
- Search for a local short-term training program. Visit the Local Training Finder to search by occupation, program, or school.
- Search for a college program. Search for schools or programs anywhere in the United States with the Local Training Finder.
- Learn about the cost of training, financial aid, and other ways to pay for training.