Sign me up for updates. Sign up now

Donate Take Action
United Way Blog

Save Money, File Your Taxes for Free

As prices continue to rise, saving money is more critical than ever. Luckily, there are many options to file your taxes for free.

United Ways across the nation are connecting people to free tax preparation offerings and helping filers get the tax credits for which they are eligible. There are options to file on your own or to connect to full-service programs in which volunteers prepare and file your taxes for you at no cost. When people file for free, they save an average of $200 in filing fees.

  • MyFreeTaxes helps households with incomes $79,000 or below file their federal and state returns for free. It also screens for credit and deduction eligibility such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit to ensure filers receive their maximum tax refund. Learn more and start filing today at
  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) programs, run by nonprofit organizations, including local United Ways, offer free tax preparation services by IRS-certified volunteers virtually and in-person. In 2023, there were over 8,800 VITA sites across the country that serve filers who typically earn less than $60,000, including people with disabilities and those with limited English. To find a VITA site near you, go to and choose the “Have My Taxes Prepared for Me” option or contact your local United Way.
  • Tax-Aide sites run by AARP is tailored for individuals over the age of 50, providing one-on-one assistance by IRS-certified volunteers virtually and in-person at 5,000 Tax-Aide sites. Tax-Aide sites are in neighborhood libraries, malls, banks, community centers and senior centers. There’s no fee and no sales pitch for other services.  AARP membership is not required. Find a location near you here.
  • IRS Free File is a partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, a group of private preparers, that provides free filing services for households that earn less than $79,000. Click here for more details on the program. Each company has a slightly different free offering, so be sure to read the eligibility requirements. If possible, choose a program that will allow you to file both your federal and state returns for free. The IRS Free File program also offers Free Fillable File Forms, which are electronic versions of IRS paper forms. But that doesn’t include the software help available through Free File.
  • MilTax is provided by the Department of Defense for military personnel. This option uses a version of H&R Block’s tax software and is free to active-duty service members, those in the National Guard or Reserves, and their families. There are no income or tax form restrictions.

Make the most of this tax season by maximizing your savings and choosing the filing option that best suits your needs. 

Once you’ve received your refund, how can you use it to improve your finances or reach your goals? Visit MyFreeTaxes’ Financial Resources page for suggestions for how to use your refund and other helpful financial information, including:

  • Opening an affordable bank account.
  • Finding a financial coach.
  • Navigating the student loan repayment process and enrolling in the best repayment plan for your income with United Way’s partner, Savi. 

It's all part of United Way's work to help everyone in the communities we serve achieve greater financial stability