In the NFL, there's a very thin line between winning and losing. In many cases, it comes down to which way the ball bounces. Since any team can win on any given Sunday, even a slight edge can mean the difference between a "W" or an "L."
That's why true NFL fans need to take the outcome of the game into their own hands. Call it karma, mojo, cause/effect, superstition, golden rule, whatever you like. But a lot of people believe that a little something extra can put their team on the road to the Super Bowl.
With that in mind, we're offering up five ways to help your team get an edge this football season. Try them out and let us know how your efforts are making a difference for you and your team. For added effect, team up with your fellow fans to multiply your impact.
- Pay It Forward: Rack up brownie points for your team with random acts of kindness. When someone does something kind for you, return the favor by doing something kind for someone else. It doesn't have to be huge or even acknowledged and the ripple effect goes far and wide.
- Give Back: It feels good to give. And by working as a team, we can accomplish so much more than we can as individuals. Create opportunities to pool your time and/or money in support of the things you care about.
- Repeat Rituals That Work: Remember, it's only weird if it doesn't work. If you find your team performs better when you wear a particular jersey, socks or underwear, make it a weekly ritual. We'll let you decide if washing your lucky gear affects its potency.
- Meditate on a Mantra: The way we think about the world affects our experience in it — for good or for bad. So be intentional about thinking positive thoughts about your team and the community that loves it.
- Be a Mentor: Here's a twofer for you. Volunteer to mentor a young person and use the opportunity to share your love of team. Nothing like bonding over football.
To learn more ways to increase karma through service, visit us at unitedway.org.