ALEXANDRIA, Va., August 1, 2023 – United Way Worldwide (UWW) has announced the election of nine new Board Trustees and two second-term trustees, elected by United Way members at the Annual Meeting of the Members held on July 26, 2023.
The vote also marks a milestone in the organization's governance. For the first time in United Way history local United Way CEOs are eligible for UWW Board of Trustee service by a vote of their peers. This is one of many strategic steps towards disrupting the status quo and driving excellence in carrying out the United Way mission to create a world where every person in every community can thrive.
Election to the United Way Worldwide Board of Trustees, First Three-Year Term:
- Tom McInerney, President and Chief Executive Officer, Genworth Financial
- Bill O’Dowd, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Dolphin Entertainment
- Johnny C. Taylor Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer, Society for Human Resources Management
- Naomi Wheeless, Global Head of Customer Success, Square
- Lanhee Yung, Founding Partner, Sagehall Partners
Election to the United Way Worldwide Board of Trustees, Member CEOs:
- Rosie Allen-Herring, President and CEO, United Way of the National Capital Area, Network Advisory Council Co-Chair
- Cristina Gutierrez de Piñeres, Executive Director, United Way Colombia
- Dr. Darienne Driver Hudson, Ed.D., President and CEO, United Way for Southeastern Michigan
- Steve Ortiz, President and CEO, United Way Santa Barbara County
Re-election to the United Way Worldwide Board of Trustees, Second Three-Year Term:
- Michele Parmelee, Global People & Purpose Officer, Deloitte
- David Shaffer, Chairman, Just Born Inc.
Each trustee is deeply committed to positively impacting global communities and their collective experience will undoubtedly enrich strategic planning and scale growth.
Angela F. Williams, United Way Worldwide President and CEO, stated, "We are delighted to welcome these exceptional captains of industry and champions for good to our Board of Trustees. Their diverse backgrounds and passion for excellence in service align perfectly with the United Way vision. We look forward to their leadership steering us towards even greater achievements in fulfilling our mission to communities."
While ushering in a new chapter, UWW also extends deep gratitude to four outgoing trustees for their unwavering dedication, remarkable service, and thoughtful solutions while driving positive change.
- Anthony Earley, Executive Chairman, Retired, PG&E Corporation
- Mariame McIntosh Robinson, Managing Director, Qenta Inc.
- Hu Shuli, Publisher, Caixin Media
- Jake Silvola-Finch, Director, Clinical Operations, ChenMed
Learn more about the United Way Worldwide Board of Trustees here.
About United Way:
United Way brings people together to build strong communities where everyone thrives. As one of the world's largest privately funded charities, we serve 95% of U.S. communities and 37 countries and territories, impacting more than 48 million people every year. Through United Way, communities tackle tough challenges and work with private, public, and nonprofit partners to boost education, economic solutions, and health resources. United Way is the mission of choice for 1.5 million volunteers, 6.8 million donors, and 45,000 corporate partners in more than 1,100 communities worldwide in our second century of service. Together, we are building resilient, equitable communities across the globe. Learn more at www.UnitedWay.org and follow us via @UnitedWay and #LiveUnited.
Erica Hess, Vice President of Communications, United Way Worldwide