United Way and its innovative corporate partners have created gift ideas that allow consumers to leverage their purchasing power to give back to their communities.
For many, the hustle and bustle of holiday cheer has not overshadowed the needs facing communities in this challenging economy. Recent studies show that consumers are looking to magnify the impact of their dollars by purchasing gifts that have the capacity to improve lives.
Holiday gift ideas include:
- In partnership with the Microsoft Corporation, the Microsoft Photography Club produced Photographers@Microsoft Volume 2, a fine art photography book sold for $49.95—the printing cost plus a tax deductible $25 donation contributed to United Way in the purchaser’s name.
- United Way and American Express have teamed up once again for the United Way Gift Card by American Express. For each card purchased, American Express will donate the $3.95 purchase charge to support United Way’s work to advance the common good.
- GE is donating 2% of all GE Online Outlet Store appliance sales at GEoutletstore.com—from refrigerators to washers & dryers and more—to United Way.
- GMC and General Motors donated 70 Super Bowl XLV tickets to help advance United Way’s youth health and wellness goals. Through January 9, Super Bowl packages—including two game tickets, a four night stay at an NFL-sanctioned hotel, a private meet-and-greet with former NFL players and more—will be auctioned at www.NFL.com/auction.
- Great seats to the hottest concerts are available through Tickets-for-Charity®, where music fans have year-round access to concerts seats—for the same or better price found elsewhere—while benefiting United Way and other charities that fans choose at checkout. From U2 and Brad Paisley to New Kids On The Block, James Taylor and more, visit www.ticketsforcharity.com.
- From Sudoku to Solitaire and other free games, GamesThatGive is providing 70% of its ad revenues to United Way and other charities. Players select United Way as the charity of choice; the longer players stay and the better they play, the more donations will be generated for United Way.
- A portion of proceeds from the popular LIVE UNITED® shirt benefit United Way.
- Through the end of the year, Orbitz is donating to United Way when you "like" them on Facebook.
The 2010 Cone Holiday Trend Tracker recently published by Cone LLC (www.coneinc.com) found that 89% of consumers expressed a desire for companies to support causes during the holiday season, and 78% said they want the opportunity to personally engage in these efforts.
Resources generated by the purchase of these gifts will further United Way’s work to create opportunities for a better life for all people by focusing on education, income and health—the building blocks for a good quality of life.