June 29, 2021, Alexandria, Va. United Way Worldwide members and partners recently elected new Trustees to both the Worldwide and the U.S.A. Boards of Trustees during United Way Worldwide’s (UWW) Annual Meeting on May 11, 2021.
The United Way Worldwide Board of Trustees is responsible for overseeing the business affairs of the organization, including strategic leadership, resource and relationship management, reputation management, and stewardship of the organization’s mission and assets.
The U.S.A. Board of Trustees serves as the governing body, charged with providing oversight to matters related to, and specific to, the United Way network in the United States. Its responsibilities include U.S. membership issues, public policy, community impact, resources development, and U.S. board development.
Elections to the United Way Worldwide Board of Trustees for terms of three years include:
- Sharan Burrow, General Secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation, elected
- Marc Bitzer, President and Chief Executive Officer with Whirlpool Corporation, reelected
- Michael Hayde, Chief Executive Officer of the Western National Group, reelected
- David Preschlack, most recently President of NBC Sports Regional Networks and NBC Sports Group Platform and Content Strategy, reelected
Elections to the U.S.A. Board of Trustees for terms of three years include:
- Orv Kimbrough, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Midwest BankCentre, elected
- Rekha Misra, Global Chief Operating Officer for Investments for Willis Towers Watson, elected
- Liz Shuler, Secretary-Treasurer for AFL-CIO, elected
- Mark Howard, Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer at Nationwide, reelected
- Deanna Strable, Chief Financial Officer and Executive Vice President of Principal Financial Group, reelected
“I am delighted to welcome all our new trustees and continue serving alongside a dedicated group of individuals who are committed to creating a world where every community is a strong one, with jobs that pay livable wages, good schools, and a healthy environment,” said Chair of the Worldwide Board of Trustees Dr. Juliette Tuakli.
“This year’s slate of trustees brings a broad and diverse range of skills and expertise. I am looking forward to their perspectives and insights as we engage the global United Way network and continue to serve communities that are facing unprecedented economic, health, and societal crises,” said Interim President and Chief Executive Officer Neeraj Mehta.
For more information about United Way and its governing boards, please visit: www.unitedway.org
About United Way
United Way fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in every community. With global reach and local impact, we’re making life better for 48 million people annually. United Way is the world's largest privately funded nonprofit, working in 95% of U.S. communities and 40 countries and territories. That’s why we’re the mission of choice for 2.5 million volunteers, 7.7 million donors and 45,000 corporate partners. In the wake of COVID-19, we’re helping people stay in their homes, stock their pantries, and protect their lives and livelihoods. And we’re working to build resilient, equitable communities. Learn more at UnitedWay.org. Follow us: @United Way and #LiveUnited.
United Way Worldwide Director of External Relations