Alexandria, Virginia (February 12, 2020) – Today, United Way Worldwide MyFreeTaxes.com for the current tax season. For the twelfth year, United Way is providing free online tax filing software, accessible through MyFreeTaxes.com, to help taxpayers easily and accurately file their federal and state taxes from their computer or smartphone. MyFreeTaxes is a free, safe, and easy way to file federal and state returns, keep more money in taxpayers’ pockets and avoid paying unnecessary filing fees.
“This year, more than ever, United Way is pleased to provide U.S. tax filing software that allows taxpayers to file their taxes for free,” said Suzanne McCormick, U.S. President, United Way Worldwide. “Disrupted employment, missed stimulus payments and mortgage forbearance are just some of the financial issues that many are grappling with this year. Greater access to free tax preparation and increased awareness of tax credits are part of United Way’s mission to help more people achieve financially stability. As millions of Americans are struggling to recover from the economic fallout of COVID-19, saving money is more critical than ever.”
Key features of the 2021 online tool include:
- Filers can prepare their tax returns on their own or be referred to full-service VITA programs to have their return prepared for them for free.
- Screens for credit and deduction eligibility such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit to ensure filers receive their maximum tax refund, and lets filers check for any missed stimulus payments
- Shows filers how and why their refund amount is changing in real time
- Allows individuals to use their mobile phone, tablet or computer to securely file taxes
- Live help from a person trained by the IRS via the MyFreeTaxes’ Helpline. The Helpline is open from 10 am-10 pm EST daily to clarify things like filing status or support technical issues.
- Access to additional financial products and resources, including free access to a student debt management tool that will help employees easily lower payments or find loan forgiveness.
MyFreeTaxes is just part of United Way’s suite of financial stability tools including:
- MySmart Money: an online budgeting and educational tool
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): provides low- and moderate-income individuals and families with free, reliable assistance in filing federal tax returns
- Savi: a free online tool to help individuals save on federal student loan debt via income-driven repayment plans and loan forgiveness.
MyFreeTaxes users can also contact their local United Way for additional resources or to find ways to volunteer to support their community.
About United Way
United Way fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in every community. With global reach and local impact, we’re making life better for 48 million people annually. United Way is the world's largest privately funded nonprofit, working in 95% of U.S. communities and 40 countries and territories. That’s why we’re the mission of choice for 2.5 million volunteers, 7.7 million donors and 45,000 corporate partners. In the wake of COVID-19, we’re helping people stay in their homes, stock their pantries, and protect their lives and livelihoods. And we’re working to build resilient, equitable communities. Learn more at UnitedWay.org. Follow us: @United Way and #LiveUnited.
Director of External Communications
United Way Worldwide
(703) 836- 7882