Sign me up for updates. Sign up now

Donate Take Action
United Way Blog

Filing Taxes is Free & Easy with MyFreeTaxes

With MyFreeTaxes®, filing your tax return doesn't have to be a hassle. You can file your federal and state returns online – for free, without paying any tax prep fees. So far, MyFreeTaxes has helped 1.3 million taxpayers claim all the credits and refunds they deserve, helping users save $260 million in tax filing fees and receive $1.9 billion in refunds.

It’s fast (usually 1 hour or less), and easy. You can use your phone, tablet, or laptop – starting on one device, and finishing on another. And MyFreeTaxes is available in English and Spanish.

The secure software walks you through the filing process and screens for common tax deductions and credits you may be eligible for, like the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Child Tax Credit.  

  • The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a federal tax credit for low- and moderate-income working people. It encourages and rewards work, and offsets federal payroll and income taxes. Twenty-eight states, plus the District of Columbia, have established their own EITCs to supplement the federal credit.
  • The Child Tax Credit helps families manage the cost of raising children. It is now $3,600 for each child under age 6, and $3,000 for each child aged 6 to 17. The U.S. Census Bureau says the Child Tax Credit has lifted 2.9 million children out of poverty.

MyFreeTaxes can also be used by people with self-employment income. Three new guides have been developed to help general small business owners, gig economy workers, and home-based child care business owners file their taxes for free. The guides make it easy to file your taxes without paying hundreds of dollars for a tax preparer. Access the MyFreeTaxes Self-Employed Tax Guides here.

If you need help while using MyFreeTaxes you can contact our support team to receive assistance from IRS-certified specialists. Other tax situations covered in MyFreeTaxes include:  

  • W-2 income
  • Schedule C Self Employment
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Student education expenses, credits or student loan interest
  • Unemployment income
  • Earned Income Tax Credit
  • Child tax credits
  • Child and dependent care expenses
  • And much more!

File your taxes today, and skip the fees <and> the hassle.

Get Involved