ALEXANDRIA, VA – February 19, 2019 — Today, United Way Worldwide applauded Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) as its #1 workplace giving campaign for 10 consecutive years. Throughout the last decade, the company – including corporate gifts and individual team member donations – has donated more than $713 million to help United Way tackle the toughest social problems around the world.
Last year, Wells Fargo team members pledged $53.5 million to the company’s annual Community Support Campaign and $75.3 million throughout the year. Their contributions impacted communities across the nation in multiple ways:
- 102,047 children received quality early education;
- 706,020 youth received academic enrichment outside school;
- 291,326 people received job training; and
- 490,000 people participated in healthy food and nutrition or physical activity programs
For a more detailed impact snapshot across Wells Fargo’s corporate footprint, click here.
Wells Fargo is one of 60,000 companies – including more than half of the Fortune 500 – that partner with United Way to solve the most challenging issues in thousands of communities.
“Wells Fargo’s team members continue to display unparalleled generosity and commitment to their communities, raising the quality of life for individuals and families across the world,“ said Brian Gallagher, CEO and President of United Way Worldwide. “United Way thanks every person at Wells Fargo for joining us in the fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.”
Wells Fargo’s support includes corporate grants that are boosting community impact in tangible ways, including:
- Granting United Way $5 million to create the Financial Capability Network, which has helped more than 42,000 low- and moderate-income families meet with a financial coach in eight communities. Of those, 32,500 achieved at least one of their personal financial goals including increasing income, reducing debt, improving credit scores, increasing savings or improving their debt-income ratio. Here’s an illustration of that work.
- Partnering with United Way on a national food drive in 2017 that generated 250,000 pounds of food.
- Leveraging United Way’s International Donor Advised Giving to distribute $2 million in international grants since 2012, including support for flood relief in India.
- Most recently, granting United Way a $5 million grant to boost hunger prevention in 27 communities.
- Donating $5 million to seed United Way’s Jobs United Fund, to help young people and veterans get and keep good jobs.
The support from Wells Fargo also goes beyond dollars.
Across the country, Wells Fargo team members provide their time and talent by volunteering. In 2018 alone, they recorded 31,000 volunteer hours supporting United Way. For example, Wells Fargo employees across 10 states came together this fall to write notes of encouragement and support to middle school students as part of United Way’s Write A Note volunteer initiative. Almost 500 employees wrote 864 encouraging notes, which were then delivered to middle schools partnering with six local United Ways. Watch a video clip of a student reading her note here.
About United Way Worldwide
United Way fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in every community. Supported by 2.9 million volunteers, 9 million donors worldwide and $4.7 billion raised every year, United Way is the world’s largest privately-funded nonprofit. We’re engaged in 1,800 communities across more than 40 countries and territories worldwide to create sustainable solutions to the challenges facing our communities. United Way partners include global, national and local businesses, nonprofits, government, civic and faith-based organizations, along with educators, labor leaders, health providers, senior citizens, students and more. United Way was ranked No. 1 on the Chronicle of Philanthropy’s “2018 Top 10: America’s Favorite Charities” and Forbes’ “The Largest U.S. Charities 2018”.
For more information about United Way, please visit UnitedWay.org. Follow us on Twitter: @UnitedWay and #LiveUnited.
Director of Public Relations
United Way Worldwide
Tel. 703.836.7100 ext. 321