Sign me up for updates. Sign up now

Back to United Way ▸
Donate Take Action

Review Your Return Status

Within two business days of filing your income taxes online, you will receive an email with information about your federal tax return and whether it was accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you don’t get an email, come back to MyFreeTaxes.com and log in to the free tax tool again. You will get instructions on what to do.

When you e-file, you will receive a notification that your return has been accepted or rejected.

Accepted Tax Return

  • If your tax return was accepted, and you were able to use last year’s return to complete the signature process, you are done with your taxes.
  • If you owe money to the IRS, mail in your payment or have it deducted from your bank account.
  • If you’re getting a refund, you will have selected either direct deposit, pre-paid card, or paper check and your refund is on its way!
  • Create a file for the paperwork you used to prepare your taxes and save it for future reference.

Rejected Tax Return

Returns are rejected for many different reasons and most can be resolved very easily. If your taxes were rejected, you need to know why your return was not accepted. The rejection notice will come with an explanation

  • If the mistake was an incorrect Social Security Number or ITIN, the wrong birthday, a misspelled name or a missing form, you can correct this and send the return back to the IRS.
  • You may need to file using a paper return if there are other errors (for example, if someone else has included one of your dependents on their tax return).
  • If you have questions about a rejection, you should call the IRS Customer Service number (toll-free) 1 (800) 829-1040.

E-filing your State Tax Return

  • Residents of most states are required to file a state income tax return. You cannot file a state return electronically if your federal return has not been accepted. Find out if your state requires you to file a tax return.
  • If the IRS accepted your federal return and you e-filed your state tax return at the same time as the federal return, you should get a message from the state within two days.
  • If you chose to e-file the state return at a later time, it should take two days to get the message.

Where's my Refund?

Once your federal return has been filed you can track the status of your refund on the IRS refunds website.  You will need to enter your Social Security Number or ITIN, your Filing Status, and your Exact Refund Amount.  The site is updated no more than once every 24 hours.  

IRS Information

To get more answers about your tax return, call the IRS Customer Service number (toll-free) 1 (800) 829-1040.

The Internal Revenue Service sponsors the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs.

In accordance with federal law and the Department of the Treasury – Internal Revenue Service policy, discrimination against taxpayers on the basis of race, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), disability, sex (in education programs or activities), age or reprisal is prohibited in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance.

Taxpayers with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation and taxpayers with limited English proficiency may request language assistance to access service.

Share this page

Facebook Twitter Email Print