Sign me up for updates. Sign up now

Back to United Way ▸
Donate Take Action

MFT - File for a Tax Extension

Apply for a 6-month Tax Extension

Most people who earned income have until Tuesday, April 18, 2017 to file federal and state income tax forms to get refunds or make a payment to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

If you can’t file your taxes by April 18 you can get an automatic tax extension by filling out Form 4868.

Important details about tax extensions:

  1. To get a tax extension, you must send Form 4868 to the IRS by April 18, 2017.
  2. After you get an extension, you will need to file your taxes by October 15, 2017.
  3. An extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes you owe. If you owe money, you will have to estimate how much you owe and pay it when you file the form to get an extension. If not, you will have to pay a late payment penalty and interest on any tax not paid until you pay the tax.
  4. If you don’t ask for an extension and you don’t file by April 18, you will have to pay a late filing penalty. You should file your taxes even if you don’t have enough money to pay the tax you owe so that you can avoid additional penalties for not filing your taxes.
  5. Income Taxes for 2014, 2013 and 2012. Many community-based tax offices can help you file taxes for the last three years. Find help filing your  federal and state taxes in person for free.
  6. If you’re getting a refund, the earlier you file the sooner you’ll receive your money.
  7. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien who lives and works outside the U.S. or if you’re in the military and serve outside the U.S., you have two extra months to file your taxes and pay the amount due without requesting an extension.

*Remember, the deadline to file your federal and state taxes is Tuesday, April 18, 2017.

Share this page

Facebook Twitter Email Print