What You Can Do Right Now
Information is great. But taking small steps now can lead to big changes.
- Get your credit reports.
- Review your credit reports.
- Circle or highlight any errors on your credit reports.
- Next Week
- File a dispute for errors you have found with the credit-reporting agency.
- Consider filing a dispute with the information furnisher, too.
- During the Next Few Months
- The credit-reporting agency should investigate your dispute within 30 days. Keep track of this on a calendar.
- If your dispute is valid, check to make sure this change in made in ALL of your credit reports.
- Periodically check your reports to ensure that the information was not reinserted.
- Make sure you keep records related to your dispute, especially if your dispute is difficult to resolve.