WHAT YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW
Information is great. But taking small steps now can lead to big changes.
- Are you thinking about applying for a loan? A credit card? A cell phone? If you need credit quickly, a nontraditional credit report might help you.
- Find out if the creditor will accept a nontraditional credit report.
- Next Week
- Review the “Building a Nontraditional Credit Report” worksheet.
- Pull together all of the evidence you have of on-time payments to your landlord, utilities, cell phone, etc.
- Consider asking your landlord or other business to which you regularly make payments to write you a letter of reference.
- Present the information you have gathered to the creditor, along with your application.
- During the Next Few Months
- Make your loan or credit card payments on time.
- Stay current with all of your bills.
- Be sure you understand how to keep good credit once you receive the loan or credit card you apply for. Don’t let a small mistake undo your hard work.