On September 8, International Literacy Day, United Way is joining with education organizations across the globe to focus attention on the need to promote worldwide literacy. For over 40 years now, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and its partners have been celebrating International Literacy Day by reminding the international community that literacy is critical for a healthy society and the foundation of all learning. In countries all over the world the day raises people's awareness of and concern for literacy challenges within communities.
According to the UNESCO Institute for Statistics, literacy rates for youth and adults are rising, with young women between the ages of 15-24 having the biggest gains. Even with these improvements, the number of people that cannot read or write is staggeringly high with 774 million adults and 123 million youth considered illiterate.
That’s why United Way is promoting a global literacy campaign that elevates the importance of literacy worldwide. The #LiteracySelfie campaign encourages individuals and organizations to take a selfie reading their favorite book or reading to a child, and then posting the pictures to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media channels. Local communities are encouraged to use the #literacyselfie hashtag to contribute to the international movement.
Take Action! Spread the word by posting a message on your social media accounts. Sample messages below:
- Join @UnitedWay in raising awareness about the value of literacy! Post a photo of yourself reading to a child using #literacyselfie on 9/8.
- DYK that 123 million youth worldwide are illiterate? Help us promote literacy by posting a photo reading to a child. Use #literacyselfie.
- Today is International Literacy Day! Show your support for global literacy by posting a photo of yourself reading. Use #literacyselfie.
- September 8th is International Literacy Day. On this day, United Way is joining with organizations across the globe to focus attention on the need to promote worldwide literacy. Join us! Take a selfie reading your favorite book or reading to a child, and then post the pictures to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media channels. Use #Literacyselfie!
- Did you know that 123 million children are illiterate? Will you join us in raising awareness for the power of literacy on International Literacy Day (Sept 8)? Join the #Literacyselfie campaign by posting a photo of yourself reading or reading to a child on your social media channels. Use #Literacyselfie.
We hope that you’ll join us in raising awareness for this important cause!