During the hectic holiday season, don't forget to take *the most important* self-care action: signing up for affordable health insurance for next year! You have until Jan. 15 to get covered for 2022.
COVID reminds us of the importance of health insurance for ourselves and loved ones. Fortunately, fewer Americans under 65 are without health insurance than ever before, because of the Afffordable Care Act (ACA). But too many people of color are still uninsured. In the first half of 2021, almost a quarter of the Hispanic population in the United States did not have health insurance. Overall, some 11.4 percent of Americans lack health insurance. But just 7.5 percent of White Americans are uninsured, compared to 11.8 percent of Black Americans. United Way and our partners are committed to helping as many people get insured as possible.
It's easier than ever to get health insurance now, but you must enroll by Jan. 15, 2022.
Here are five things you need to know to get affordable health insurance on the ACA marketplace for next year:
1. It's comprehensive coverage. HealthCare.Gov plans must include key benefits like mental health care, maternity care, prescription drug coverage, and hospitalization services.
2. It's likely cheaper. In addition to good coverage, most marketplace shoppers will qualify for a discount based on income. This year, Congress increased the amount of tax subsidies for consumers on health plans through the ACA marketplace, making health insurance more affordable than ever. In 2021, more than 8 in 10 shoppers qualified for financial assistance to help cover all out-of-pocket costs. Many consumers will pay $10/month or less.
3. Help is here. Free, virtual or in-person assistance is available to anyone looking for the most affordable plan to meet your needs. Go to GetCovered to make an appointment.
4. Planning ahead pays off. If you are currently enrolled in an ACA plan for 2021, you will be automatically enrolled for 2022. You have the opportunity during Open Enrollment to review your plan and make changes.
5. It's easy to do. You can enroll online, over the phone, or in person. Visit www.healthcare.gov, or CuidadodeSalud.Gov, call the marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596, or make an appointment for a virtual or in-person assistance (see #3).
Here's to a happy holiday season, and a healthy 2022!