In celebration of its 125th anniversary, United Way Worldwide recognized Procter & Gamble (P&G) with the 2012 Spirit of America® award for philanthropy, volunteer efforts and community impact. Bank of America, Deloitte, Publix Super Markets, Inc., Microsoft Corporation, General Motors, Wells Fargo and ITW received Summit awards.
“P&G is a global leader in corporate citizenship and a great United Way partner,” said Brian Gallagher United Way Worldwide president and CEO. “P&G and its employees have demonstrated incredible leadership, innovation and volunteer commitment which are improving children’s lives and making a lasting impact in communities here in the U.S. and around the world.”
P&G's partnership with United Way is rooted in a shared sense of global citizenship and a mutual focus on children’s health and education. United Way’s mission to mobilize and empower communities combined with P&G’s aim to improve life for 300 million children around the world has resulted in numerous early childhood education partnerships, including Born Learning in Panama, Peru, Mexico, Colombia and Brazil. In addition to its philanthropic work, P&G leveraged its unique marketing expertise and social media channels through the P&G brandSAVER program, making donations in order to increase viewership and engagement, with over 50 million U.S. households reached.
“United Way's Spirit of America award is powerful recognition that we are making a difference in our communities around the world,” said Robert A. McDonald, P&G chairman, president and CEO. “We are humbled by this tremendous honor and grateful for our long partnership with United Way.”
P&G is the largest financial contributor to the United Way of Greater Cincinnati (UWGC) and runs United Way campaigns at all U.S. plants and most international locations. Globally, P&G invests more than $100 million annually in charitable cash, product and employee donations. Company employees volunteered more than 52,500 hours in 2011, plus senior leaders served on more than 200 prominent local, national and global boards.
UWGC president Robert C. Reifsnyder said, “Nearly 100 years ago, a Procter and a Gamble were among the first leaders of what is now United Way of Greater Cincinnati. Since those beginnings, Procter & Gamble has been a bedrock of philanthropic support for both our United Way and the Greater Cincinnati community. Volunteers from throughout the company are deeply involved in all aspects of our work.”
P&G has previously won five Summit Awards from United Way Worldwide, three in 2010 and two in 2011 for its work in community impact and volunteer engagement.
United Way also presented Summit Awards to these distinguished corporate leaders:
- Publix Super Markets, Inc.’s 2011 United Way campaign raised $45.6 million – a 12% increase over 2010, plus Publix associates volunteered 900,000 hours. Publix leverages its stores and 40 million customers by promoting United Way on 220 million grocery bags plus including Born Learning education tips on store shelf signs and customer newsletters. Publix ranks #1 on the Corporate Social Responsibility Index, plus Publix has been among Fortune’s “Most Admired Companies” for 17 years and “100 Best Companies to Work For” for 15 years.
- Bank of America and its employees raised more than $35 million through the United Way campaign. In addition, bank employees volunteered more than 1.5 million hours nationwide. The bank also stepped up once again to support free income tax assistance, resulting in more than 530,000 completed tax returns and $800 million in total refunds to hardworking individuals and families in 2011 alone. By the conclusion of the 2013 tax season, Bank of America will have invested $6.5 million in Financial Stability grants with United Way and was the first financial institution to nationally support this important work.
- Deloitte raised $21 million through its annual United Way campaign and has more Tocqueville donors than any other organization in the country. It also taps its people’s professional experience to serve nonprofits through skills-based volunteering and has pledged $110 million in pro bono work to leading nonprofits. On IMPACT Day, Deloitte’s national day of volunteer service, approximately three-quarters of the organization’s professionals volunteer. And, the Deloitte Volunteer IMPACT survey provides key research to spark advances in corporate philanthropy and volunteering. Finally, Deloitte is committed to building a college-going culture in America. It supports several organizations focused on the issue, and more than 200 Deloitte senior executives serve on the boards of nonprofits working to improve education.
- Microsoft and its employees donated $100.5 million to nonprofits and educational institutions in 2011, with United Way remaining the single largest recipient of employee donations and corporate matching funds since the Community Affairs program began. Microsoft provided a $17/hour match for employee volunteer hours with employees recording more than 426,000 hours -- a 20% increase over 2010. Microsoft’s focus is on providing opportunities for youth, including support of United Way’s Parent-Child Home Program for low-income families plus a host of innovative, technology-focused education programs that tap Microsoft’s unique company and employee expertise. In 2011, Microsoft donated $844 million in software to more than 40,000 global nonprofits.
- General Motors showed unprecedented support for United Way in 2011. The GM Foundation made its largest gift ever – a transformational $27.1 million grant to United Way of Southeastern Michigan – to create a “Network of Excellence” within seven area high schools and increase graduation rates from 50% to 80% over five years. To augment the grant, GM’s new teamGM Cares employee volunteer program supports the schools through Champions Councils, mentoring programs and other initiatives. Last year, GM employees contributed more than $6 million through the company’s United Way campaign. In addition, the company’s GMC division teamed up with United Way to build United Way Healthy Kids Zones in nine NFL markets across the country, using a portion of the $264,000 raised from the GMC-United Way Super Bowl package auction along with the support of 3,000 volunteers. Also, Chevrolet donated 13 vehicles valued at $400,000 to United Ways across Alabama to assist in storm recovery efforts.
- Wells Fargo is United Way’s top national campaign raising $56 million annually, plus team members volunteered 1.5 million hours in 2011 – a 10.8% increase over last year. The company also offers a unique Volunteer Leave Program that provides fully paid volunteer leave for up to four months for team members to work on a significant project impacting a nonprofit organization or school. In 2011, Wells Fargo awarded volunteer leave to more than 26 team members representing more than 32.5 months of paid leave. Overall, the company gave $213.5 million to nonprofits.
- Illinois Tool Works (ITW) raised $11.4 million for United Way, including a generous dollar for dollar match, plus an enhanced match to incent participation and leadership giving. During the pilot phase of its volunteer program, the men and women of ITW volunteered 3,598 hours with United Way and its partners which the company matched with $10/hour. To provide opportunities for young people, ITW’s innovative annual United Way video is created collaboratively by local high school students, area Boys and Girls Club Kids and a nonprofit creative arts foundation.
The Spirit of America and Summit Awards program, celebrating its 25th year, is United Way’s highest national honor for a corporation, recognizing United Way Global Corporate Leaders with the most comprehensive commitments to strengthening communities. Applicants are evaluated by corporate peers and local United Ways. Join the conversation on Twitter using hash tag #SpiritofAmerica or visit unitedway.org/SOA.
About Procter & Gamble
P&G serves approximately 4.4 billion people around the world with its brands. The Company has one of the strongest portfolios of trusted, quality, leadership brands, including Pampers®, Tide®, Ariel®, Always®, Whisper®, Pantene®, Mach3®, Bounty®, Dawn®, Fairy®, Gain®, Pringles®, Charmin®, Downy®, Lenor®, Iams®, Crest®, Oral-B®, Duracell®, Olay®, Head & Shoulders®, Wella®, Gillette®, Braun®, Fusion®, Ace®, Febreze®, Ambi Pur®, SK-II®, and Vicks®. The P&G community includes operations in about 80 countries worldwide. Please visit http://www.pg.com for the latest news and in-depth information about P&G and its brands.
About United Way
United Way is a worldwide network in 41 countries and territories, including more than 1,200 local organizations in the U.S. It advances the common good, creating opportunities for a better life for all by focusing on the three key building blocks of education, income and health. United Way recruits people and organizations who bring the passion, expertise and resources needed to get things done. LIVE UNITED® is a call to action for everyone to become a part of the change. For more information about United Way, please visit: www.UnitedWay.org.
COMUNICADO DE PRENSA
P&G obtiene reconocimiento por mejorar las vidas de niños alrededor del mundo
United Way honró a P&G con el premio “Espíritu de América”, por ciudadanía corporativa global e impacto en la comunidad, incluyendo actividades realizadas en PAIS.
3 de Mayo de 2012 – United Way Worldwide reconoció a Procter & Gamble (P&G) con el premio Espíritu de América 2012 por sus esfuerzos de filantropía y voluntariado, y por su impacto en la comunidad.
“P&G es un líder global en ciudadanía corporativa, y un gran aliado de United Way,” dijo Brian Gallagher, Presidente y CEO de United Way Worldwide. “P&G y sus empleados han demostrado un increíble liderazgo, innovación y compromiso voluntario, están mejorando las vidas de los niños y generando un impacto duradero, aquí en Estados Unidos y alrededor del mundo.”
La alianza de P&G con United Way se basa en un sentido compartido de ciudadanía global, y el foco mutuo en la educación y salud de los niños. La misión de United Way de movilizar y empoderar a las comunidades, combinada con el objetivo de P&G de mejorar la vida de 300 millones de niños alrededor del mundo, ha resultado en un esfuerzo conjunto por promover la educación infantil temprana a lo largo de América Latina.
“El propósito de nuestra compañía nos llama a mejorar las vidas de las comunidades en que vivimos y trabajamos. El premio Espíritu de América de United Way es un poderoso reconocimiento que muestra que estamos haciendo una diferencia alrededor del mundo”, dijo Robert A. McDonald, Presidente y CEO de P&G. “Recibimos con humildad este reconocimiento, muy agradecidos de la larga alianza que tenemos con United Way”.
P&G había recibido anteriormente cinco premios “Cumbre” (Summit) de United Way Worldwide, tres en 2010 y dos en 2011, por su impacto en la comunidad e involucramiento de sus empleados. Los premios “Cumbre” y “Espíritu de America” reconocen a los Líderes Corporativos Globales de United Way con el mayor compromiso por construir comunidades. Los postulantes son evaluados por pares corporativos y los United Way locales.
Acerca de Procter & Gamble
P&G sirve aproximadamente a 4.400 millones de personas alrededor del mundo a través de sus marcas. La compañía tiene una de las carteras más fuertes de marcas de confianza y liderazgo, las cuales incluyen, Pampers®, Tide®, Ariel®, Always®, Whisper®, Pantene®, Mach3®, Bounty®, Dawn®, Fairy®, Gain®, Pringles®, Charmin®, Downy®, Lenor®, Iams®, Crest®, Oral-B®, Duracell®, Olay®, Head & Shoulders®, Wella®, Gillette®, Braun®, Fusion®, Ace®, Febreze®, Ambi Pur®, SK-II®, y Vicks®. La comunidad de P&G incluye operaciones en cerca de 80 países alrededor del mundo. Visite http://www.pg.com para las últimas noticias y para obtener información detallada acerca de P&G y sus marcas.
Acerca de United Way
United Way es una red mundial que opera en 41 países y territorios, incluyendo más de 1.200 organizaciones locales en E.E.U.U. Promueve el bien común, creando oportunidades para una vida mejor para todos, enfocándose en los tres componentes clave de educación, ingreso y salud. United Way involucra a personas y organizaciones que aportan su pasión, conocimientos y recursos necesarios para lograr el cambio. LIVE UNITED® es el llamado a la acción para que todos formen parte de este cambio. Para mayor información acerca de United Way, por favor visite: www.UnitedWay.org
703-836-7112, ext 573