July 30, 2013
United Way Disaster Response Fund-India - Working to Rebuild Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh
- The devastation in Uttarakhand on account of recent floods is of an unimaginable scale.
- Floods caused by the heaviest monsoon in over 60 years.
- Thousands of people are missing, stranded or have been rendered homeless.
- There is widespread destruction across the region in Uttarakhand and Himachal.
- The death toll is feared to be a few thousand and is increasing every day.
About United Way Disaster Response Fund-India
- Designed to support strategic interventions for long-term relief and rehabilitation of areas affected by the floods
- Based on the need assessment, Fund will support long-term efforts such as construction of houses, restoration of livelihood, construction of schools and restructuring the fabric of the community
- A detailed need assessment to be carried out with the help of United Way’s NGO partners in consultation with the local community and government
- Basic needs materials (e.g. food, toiletries, sleeping materials) will be purchased from the funds collected and distributed in coordination with partner agencies and the local government at the various relief camps set up in the affected regions
- Has collected INR 45 million to date (USD 762,712.00)
- After thorough due diligence, United Way has identified credible NGO partners with a well-established track record in relief and rehabilitation for on-ground implementation
- United Way will facilitate and monitor the rehabilitation programs and management of Fund disbursements
- Donors will receive regular reports on progress of relief and rehabilitation efforts associated with the United Way Disaster Response Fund-India
- Engaged corporate partners include (but are not limited to): BP Foundation, J.P. Morgan (JPM), Wells Fargo (WFC), Bank of America Merrill Lynch, and General Electric (GE)
Ways Companies Can Help and Get Involved
- Organize a special employee giving campaign in their offices to contribute to the Fund
- Provide matching grants against employee contributions, providing a boost to fundraising efforts of the employees
- Give corporate grant to the Fund
About United Way of India
As the national organization, United Way of India maximizes its national footprint to advance the common good, by focusing on education, financial stability, health and disaster preparedness. Local United Ways have the flexibility to customize their approaches to specific community needs while leveraging the talents and expertise of the worldwide network. For more information, visit http://www.unitedwayofindia.org.
Media ContactKyle Rouse