December 03, 2013
Give a Gift That Gives Back This Holiday Season
Alexandria, VA [November 25, 2013] — United Way Worldwide and its partners are offering alternative holiday gift ideas and other great ways to give back this holiday season to help improve lives and make communities stronger all year long.
- #GivingTuesday: United Way is encouraging partners, supporters and its network of 1,800 United Ways around the world to give back – not just money, but time and influence as well.
- Microsoft Corporation employees are selling the 2013 Discover | photographers@Microsoft book of photography for $50 plus shipping. Purchases can me made online or at certain locations. Microsoft donates all sales to United Way—including a company match on employee book purchases and employee volunteer hours to create the book. To date, Microsoft has raised more than $200,000 for United Way through book sales.
- American Express: When you buy this Special Edition United Way Gift Card between 10/1/2013 and 9/30/2014, we will donate 100% of the Gift Card fee to United Way to help the common good through education, income, and health programs.
- GE: At the online GE Appliance Outlet Store, GE donates 2% of the product purchase price to United Way.
- Amazon recently launched AmazonSmile where customers can shop on Amazon and donate 0.5% of the price of eligible items to over one million charitable organizations—including United Way.
- Kellogg Company has a consumer loyalty program, Kellogg’s Family Rewards™ Kelloggsfamilyrewards.com – customers collect points from products they purchase and then redeem points online—including the option to donate to United Way.
- Target: For the 23rd consecutive year, Target stores across the country will donate more than 7,000 holiday trees to United Way as part of the Target Share-a-Tree program. Trees will be distributed to families in need as well as partners such as shelters, community centers and childcare programs.
- U.S. Bank gives consumers $1 for trying U.S. Bank Bill Pay when they donate $1 to one of four selected charities, including United Way. U.S. Bank matches up to $50,000 annually in Bill Pay Giving donations.
According to the 2012 Cone Holiday Trend Tracker, nearly three-quarters (71%) of consumers expect companies to support causes during the holidays; 75% of consumers say they feel better about companies that support holiday causes; and 71% indicate they would choose a gift that supports a cause over one that does not.
As the largest privately funded nonprofit in the world, United Way works to create a better life for all people by focusing on education, income and health. You can give, advocate and volunteer to make your community a better place; just visit unitedway.org, follow @UnitedWay or check out Facebook.com/UnitedWay.