Student United Way Leadership Retreat
The Student United Way Leadership Retreat is the annual national gathering of Student United Way, the student-led movement of United Way.
Each year, student leaders, campus advisers, and United Way professionals from around the country meet in Alexandria, VA at the United Way Worldwide headquarters to share promising practices, build leadership skills, and challenge each other (and peers back home) to LIVE UNITED. Join us!
Registration will begin in April 2013.
When & Where
This year the retreat will be September 6-8, 2013 at the Mary Gates Learning Center in Alexandria, VA
Who Should Attend
College student leaders, United Way representatives, and campus advisors actively working on Student United Way or interested in starting one are invited to participate.
Highlights: 2012 Participant Sited Benefits
- Inspiration, networking and idea sharing
- Training tips and techniques, ice breaker ideas as well as materials for use
- Workshops on club management, member recruitment & retention, social media
- Reinforcing Student United Way goals and objectives
- Learning how to get involved with national projects
- Getting to hear lots of specific ideas from staff and other Student United Ways
- Being able to use everyone as a think tank to improve our own program.
- Meeting new student leaders and learning new ideas, brainstorming, collaborating and connecting with other students sharing the same purpose.
- “Thank you so much for the opportunity to participate in the Student United Way Leadership Retreat! We feel so fortunate – the event was amazing and we each gained so much from the experience. The connections we made are important and we truly came away with the understanding that UWW staff / consultants are accessible and eager to be engaged in the local work. More importantly, we left with a greater understanding of the importance of the movement as a whole and our interconnectedness.”
- “The most valuable part of this Retreat was meeting other people who are interested in advancing the common good.”
- “My students were very excited and got a lot of good ideas-Its worth more than I can say.”
For details on travel support, please email email@example.com.
To make the retreat accessible to participants, we typically waive the registration fee for college students and employees for this event which covers speakers, facilitators, materials, meals and meeting space. United Way employees should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details on fees for staff. Attendees are responsible for their own travel costs including flights, ground transportation, lodging, and incidentals.
Got questions? We've got answers!
For more information, send an email to email@example.com and check back this summer (2013) for updated planning and registration information.