Advocate to Support Youth Health & Wellness
Congress is considering legislation that covers federal child nutrition programs-known as the Child Nutrition Reauthorization Bill.
Millions of kids get most of their daily nutrition from federally funded programs, like the National School Lunch program and the Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (called WIC). A well-written and funded Child Nutrition bill will ensure that kids eat healthy food at school, and will also provide education and other support for healthier food choices outside of school.
Contact your U.S. Senators and Representative to ask them to support the Child Nutrition Reauthorization bill so it-
- Improves access and participation by underserved children
- Enhances nutrition quality and provides adequate reimbursement
- Modernizes and streamlines programs to improve integrity and efficiency.
You may also see other ways to advocate for youth health and wellness in your community. For example-
- Attend local budget meetings to support funding for parks, walking and biking trails, and other programs
- Write a letter to the editor sharing your thoughts about what can be done to improve access to nutritious food and safe physical activity
- Ask your school board to set a policy so that vending machines in the schools only sell healthy food and beverages
- Work with local planning or economic development commissions to ensure people in all neighborhoods have nearby places to buy healthy, affordable food
- Forward this information to five friends so they can do the same.
Already advocating to promote youth and wellness? Share how!