Every year, members of Congress return to their home districts during the month of August. August recess is a time for members to meet with their constituents and hear about their community concerns.
As members of Congress head home this August, United Way is asking individuals and organizations to join us in rallying congressional and public support for education. On August 19-23, United Ways, partners and caring citizens are joining together to send a message to policymakers to prioritize our nation's children and invest in a quality education for all.
Policymakers are expected to debate critical issues affecting children when they come back in session in the fall. Now is the time for us to tell federal lawmakers that education needs to be front and center for our nation.
Be an Education Action Leader in your community.
- Sign United Way's education petition to Congress
- Pledge to be a Reader, Tutor or Mentor
- Join the Action Week Twitter Rally. Use hashtag #Stand4Edu.
- Write an op-ed on the importance of education
Form an Education Action Team. Join with your friends, coworkers & community members and stand for education.
- Host a Community Conversation.
- Organize a site visit to a local education program.
- Attend a Town Hall Meeting.
- Meet with a congressional member.
For more information, visit: http://www.unitedway.org/pages/education-action-week.