To kick off the back-to-school season, United Way is organizing an Education Action Week to rally congressional and public support for education nationwide. This week, local United Ways, partners and caring citizens are joining together to send a message to policymakers to prioritize our nation’s children and invest in a quality education for all.
This fall, congressional members will be making critical legislative decisions affecting children. Policymakers are expected to consider the major education bill, the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), and other education appropriations bills when Congress comes back in session in September and October. Now is the time for us to tell federal officials that education needs to be front and center for our nation!
Join us and Be An Education Action Leader!
There are many ways that you can take action. You can meet with your member of Congress during the congressional recess or send a tweet raising awareness for the importance of investments in early education.
Will you join us and take one action in support of education this week?
1. Blog for Education: Submit a blog post that discusses improving school attendance and we will publish it during Attendance Awareness Month. For more information, read the call for submissions.
2. Sign the petition to Congress: Sign United Way's petition urging policymakers to pass a bipartisan education bill that helps all children succeed!
3. Write an Op-Ed: Join us in calling attention to the issue of early grade reading. Use our op-ed generator and submit an op-ed to your local publications.
4. Join the Action Week Twitter Rally: Join our social media rally to raise awareness about education and tell policymakers they must invest in our nation’s children. Simply tweet with the hashtag #stand4edu.
- .@WhiteHouse Stand up for children and support a high-quality education for every child #stand4edu http://ow.ly/mZmZU
- We need to invest in #education, @SpeakerBoehner. It’s the key to our economic growth #stand4edu http://ow.ly/mZmZU
- 1.2M dropouts each year is unacceptable. [insert member twitter handle], will you invest in education? #stand4edu http://ow.ly/mZmZU
For more information, go to www.unitedway.org/edactionweek.