United Way Alternative Spring Break is right around the corner. In just two months, students will descend upon the communities of Tucson, El Paso, Newark and Biloxi to experience a spring break like no other. Many students have already registered to be a part of it. If you're unsure if ASB is for you, here are five reasons why you absolutely can't miss it!
- It's EMPOWERING - ASB is a unique opportunity to understand the very important role you play in being a change maker in your community, and, more broadly, in your world. How many times last year do you remember saying, "I wish there was something I could do"? Unfortunately, it was probably more often than any of us would have wanted. Participate in United Way Alternative Spring Break and never feel powerless to make a difference again. Don't believe me? Check out how ASB transformed my dear friend Eric's life in his recent blog post.
- It builds you as a LEADER - The projects students work on during ASB are complex. You won't be shoveling papers or doing data entry. No sir, not here! You'll be given your assignment and often times it will be up to you and your team to determine the best way to get the job done given the diverse talents of your team members and the resources available to you. We've seen students go above and beyond on projects, surpassing everyone's expectations of what could be accomplished, and leaving us speechless with the leadership and decision making skills they show in the process.
- It CHANGES lives - Most of these reasons are evidence of how ASB will change your life. Just as important (if not more important) is the fact that you'll have the opportunity to change the life of a family still waiting to return home after a disaster damaged their house; or a young child in need of a couple more caring adults to cheer them on and help them with their homework. ASB touches the lives of participants, but ASB participants touch the lives of people in our communities even more.
- It builds lifelong FRIENDSHIPS - I can't tell you how much of my Facebook Newsfeed is filled with people checking in with friends they met at United Way Alternative Spring Break years ago. ASB is a chance to meet people from all across the country, many of whom you would never have the opportunity to meet or might not really imagine yourself being friends with otherwise. There's something about being called to action, serving together, and advancing the common good with your peers that automatically escalates a new acquaintance to BFF status overnight.
- It's ridiculously FUN - Karaoke, trips to the beach, evening events, games... This is still your spring break and we (staff included) intend on having a really good time.
So there you have it! Head on over to our United Way Alternative Spring Break page and sign up for one of our awesome opportunities today. And tell your friends to head to www.unitedway.org/ASB to learn more and join you on the spring break trip of a lifetime. You can also leave us your thoughts in the comments or by taking this quick poll.